Monday, November 11, 2013

It was a good run, but now it’s back, depression – Chasing it away with self care.


I had a good run, I really did, but now the grayness is once again leaning towards me, leaving me frightened that the darkness will settle. I have not felt this way in quite a while. This past summer was a good one, so was the beginning of fall, lot’s of changes took place which I embraced positively. I even manage to get my laptop fixed and finally purchased internet service, which was a challenging because there were no towers available in my area; low and behold I am plugged in thanks to those hot spot USB devices.

And now, here I am battling this melancholic feeling that I am all too familiar with. Although, I was almost certain it would remain in the past, I see it as a reminder that although it is not who I am, it is still a part of me and will always be.

My depression will come and go, sometimes go for long periods of time to the point where I get comfortable as well as complacent, my usual routines go out the window, self care is placed in the back burner and meditation along with spirituality is a thing of the past. All a big No, No, I may as well have a ticker time bomb attached to me.

I have a plan which I am hoping to implement as soon as possible. I have learned through out the years that although depressive disorder is part of me I don’t have to entertain it; there are things I can do to lessen it and put it to rest.

Exercise for one, is a  part of my dan and when I don’t do it I begin to whittle away, so I will make it a point to re-join the local gym and make use of my membership.

I will also start to practice my prayer and mediation again, along with attending my Ala-non 12 step (family and friends of alcoholics) meetings which sadly I have stopped going.

 In other words, I will practice self care with the goal of evading the darkness and preventing it from settling.



 Are there any self care routines that you have not practiced lately?  What kind of things do you do that make you feel better?











-->

10 comments:

  1. Self care does keep much at bay, thanks to my ocd I stick with them all though, whether I want to or not lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat, good for you, glad you're sticking with them.:-)

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry, Madison, that the grayness is visiting again. It's good that you are realizing it before it gets worse. Self-care and routine are very important to me, and I have gotten lax. Exercise, meditation, creative time, taking photos, writing, they all help. And I'm working on getting into a routine that helps me feel more balanced. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Tina, thanks. Getting into a routine definitely helps in feeling more balanced.

      Delete
  3. It seems depression, bipolar, and anxiety come and go. It's how you handle the downturns that matters. in fact I think it defines you. If you've been there before and got out of it you will get better this time to. Remember your coping skills.

    For depression I've found getting up and doing things even though I don't feel like it really helps me. The worst thing I ever did was succumb to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi idea, thank you so much for reading my post. I agree with you and yes, those coping skills are a plus in getting through the downturns.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry things are hard for you right now, and I hope you feel better soon. It's hard that there's no cure for depression. It would be so great if we could just kick it for good. But facing it head on is about the best thing we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Karen, thanks! it would be good for sure. So nice to see you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear this, and believe me, I fully comprehend. I struggle with depression myself and have for many years. What helps me is being able to talk about my feelings with close friends and taking walks in nature with my camera, as well as being around animals. My heart goes out to you. Sending you a hug.

    Thank you so much for your kind comment on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry for the late reply Linda but I just read your comment and wanted to let you know how comforting it still is to me.

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...