Sunday, December 9, 2012

Mind and body - Taking care of our mental health as well as our physical health

I admit, while spending years addressing my mental health issues, I put my general physical health aside, and now as I am getting older and am managing to appropriately treat it, as well as cope with my mental health, I am beginning to see how detrimental it is to also take care of our overall health.

Taking care of my mental health was and is, to say the least a lengthy process, it involves trial and error treatments, learning coping skills, depressive episodes, moments of clarity, and an array of many other symptoms. I can see how I overlooked my general health without necessarily meaning to. But I would also like to emphasize how important it is to stick with the process because, in my experience, without me addressing my mental health issues, I probably would not care about anything else nor would I be here writing this.

It is a complete package, our mental health and our physical health go hand in hand. If one is not feeling well the other one is also bound to suffer.  I recently found that out when I began to have minor health problems, physically I was not feeling well and it was affecting me emotionally.

Part of self care is listening to what our bodies are telling us and then taking the appropriate measures to assure that we stay healthy, That involves not only keeping our mental health appointments and following through with treatment, but also having our annual physical checkups, going to the doctor when we feel something is not quite right, making and keeping our medical appointments, as well as our follow up visits.

Taking care of our emotional health can be a daunting task for some, and when we begin to reap the benefits of putting in all the hard work, we begin to feel whole, it is a wonderful and fulfilling feeling. Now we continue to move forward and take care of anything that might chip away at the wholeness that we so valiantly fought and continue to fight for by taking care of entire selves, mind and body.





-->

17 comments:

  1. This is very true!
    The more I've learned about my mental health issues the more I have seen how closely mental and physical health are related.
    I am definitely guilty at times of forgetting the importance of eating right and exercising.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aaron, nice of you to comment. I too, can be guilty of eating and exercise, but I have certainly become better in those areas in the last year or so.

    Thanks:-)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meredith, this is such a wise post. You are so right about the need to take care of our whole health, mind and body. I'm guilty of paying less attention to my physical health than I should, and the result is I'm overweight and out of shape. And that affects how I feel overall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Madison,

    I can very much relate to your thoughtful, articulate posting. In fact, when I was at my worst, I didn't feel 'worthy' of eating correctly or taking care of myself.

    Indeed, physical and mental health are intertwined. When we cultivate healthy thinking and behaviour, the results can be amazing and most inspiring.

    Well said, my friend. In peace and empathy, Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary, healthy thinking and behaviour combined sure make for amazing results.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Mental health is so important! I think woman have a hard time remembering to take care of themselves both mentally and physically. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Frugal, good having you visit my blog. Yes, taking care of both can be challenging for some, but well worth it.

      Thanks:-)

      Delete
  6. Madison, I can't believe I called you Meredith in my comment above. I apologize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite alright. :-) Have a beautiful day.

      Delete
  7. I would agree, we are a whole package, and I would add there are many ways to take care of yourself besides going to the doctor. Like eating healthy and exercising. I agree with Tina. We already know some of these things, and it is just about putting it into practice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ! Jodi, thank you for pointing out other important factors in staying healthy. A pleasure having you visit my blog. :)

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time remembering to keep an eye on both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jill, it can be hard for some, the important thing is to keep trying.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  9. Thank you for sharing this information. Makes sense to me. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just be real, thank you for visiting my blog and commenting. :-)

      Delete
  10. Hi Katherine, thank you! Oh, and btw you have a very nice blog. :)

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...