Friday, October 12, 2012

Strength to change the things that I can and begin moving forward



Many years ago when I was relatively new in recovery, I was going through a rough patch with my finances, bills were not being paid, food in the fridge was limited and the closer it got to rent time the closer I got to a nervous breakdown. As you can imagine that is not good in early recovery. To top it off with all of my responsibilities during that time, working seemed nearly impossible.

As reluctant as I was, I decided to discuss it with a couple of close friends. Some suggested a part time job; I had every excuse for knocking down that suggestion. I remained miserable and full of worry. One day when the bills were becoming too much to bear and the mental anguish too intolerable, the grace of god came upon me and I decided to take those suggestions.

I started getting the word out that I was available for work, I also did research and landed a couple of gigs here and there. It sure helped me pay some of my bills and take care of odds and ends, but what I found most intriguing was how many more positive things came out of that experience such as my confidence and self esteem which went up a few notches. I had pretty much forgotten how good it felt to work hard and earn a good honest pay. For the first time in a long time I began to really feel good about myself.

My whole character began to change, all of the sudden I realized I was gaining strength, I was thinking of new ways to make an extra honest dollar while still caring for my family, I was meeting interesting people and actually seeing things in life for the first time instead of just passing by them.

It finally dawned on me that there is this whole big world full of all sorts of possibilities for me to explore. I began setting goals and developing a new mindset, and no matter how strenuous situations became for me, I knew there was and is always a way through and above them.

“It is true that we shall not be able to reach perfection, but in our struggle toward it we shall strengthen our characters and give stability to our ideas, so that, while ever advancing calmly in the same direction, we shall be rendered capable of applying the faculties with which we have been gifted to the best possible account.”Confucius





16 comments:

  1. Madison, This is a very inspiring post. I am one of those who has tended to think I "couldn't" do more, but when I try, I really do feel better. I love the quote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tina! It truly is rewarding when we do what we thought we were incapable of. Thanks:)

      Delete
  2. Greetings Madison,

    And yes it's me, Gary the alleged human. Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star, now evidently a superstar, has kindly allowed me to take back my blog :)

    Most upbeat and you know that as you continue to embrace all the positive resources and distractions on offer, your self-esteem, your understanding of your validity, will grow in strength and inspiration.

    Keep going. A positive mindset is a wonderful place to be.

    In kindness, Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny and Gary, as always lovely of you to stop by. Your positive rienforcement is valuable and appreciated, thanks!

      Delete
  3. Thoughtful, honest post as always, Madison. Opening ourselves to the world around us, while sometimes tense, also offers plenty of joy. As an aside... last night while I was on the verge of sleep I thought of you, wondering how you are. I hadn't visited your site for awhile and told myself I would the next day. And then this morning there you are in my Twitter mentions. Synchronicity. I like it. And I love the quote.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Steph, synchronicity indeed. I tell ya, that made me feel good, it's nice to be thought off:) "opening up to the world" challenging for many, especially for me, but like you said " it offers plenty of joy" worth it.

      Delete
  4. So glad you have found happiness with work and love that you are becoming less anxious and happy. Good for you. Congrats. = )

    Irish
    Dedicated2life.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irish Carter, I truly appreciate your kind and supportive comment.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  5. Point is to be positive and stay positive! Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, being positive is a plus in maintaining overall good mental health.

      Delete
  6. very important for us to be positive and keep up positive
    lisya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alisya, thank you! Yes staying positive is key. :)

      Delete
  7. Well done Madison on using your strength to overcome your rough patch. It is all too easy to stay engrossed in them.

    I think what you've just shown here that is also important is that when we're going through one of our patches we tend to isolate ourselves from our loved ones. But this creates a greater struggle for ourselves and leads us into a downward spiral. Friends are so important in helping us to stay grounded, in helping us to reflect on opportunities we may not otherwise see during our patch, and to lift us up.

    Thank you for sharing :)

    Sincerely,
    Linda

    Dr Linda Hamilton
    http://thanknest.com
    thank someone you love - it's free!

    P.S. Following you over from MomBloggersClub and just saw that Irish Carter who I met via Twitter is following you too! Hi Irish, it's so wonderful to bump into you coincidentally on Madison's blog - I love your work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are an inspiration dear Madison and a lovely writer! I hope that everything is going to work out good for you in life - you deserve it! :-D

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...