Saturday, September 8, 2012

Seeking help for mental health - Applying skills, utilizing knowlegde


When suffering from a mental illness speaking up about your feelings is never a waste of time. Even if you feel others are bieng unresponsive, somehow voicing your thoughts helps you face them and ultimately seek help, advise and guidance from a lisencened mental health care professional.

Still, when I think back to what I call, my rock bottom years, letting others know how I felt did not mean they were going to drag me out of my bed or pull me out of that disinegrating hole. Eventually, I had to find the courage and strength of my own to fight for my life. And I am so glad I did.

People shared thier experience with me, they listened and cheered me on as I progressed but I had to put in the foot work, go to my doctor appointments, my support groups and use my coping skills.

Throughout the years I have learned that just sharing my thoughts and reading about solutions although, very important, It is a beginning, a stepping stone, but not enough. I had, and have to do more, I have to apply what I learn and utilize the knowledge.

If you or someone you know is suffering from a mental illness related issue, never be afraid of getting help wheather it's making an appointment to speak with a doctor/psychiatrist or getting urgent care if needed.

Reaching out is a good thing, for me it was and is the best of things, a step in the right direction.

"Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe





6 comments:

  1. Hi Madison,
    And indeed, by verbalising your thoughts, by sharing via your blog, you not only help others, but in turn, you help yourself.
    So true, only you can make the ultimate decision to admit you have a problem and discover you can find some sort of a solution.
    Through such sharing and caring you bestow and we bestow, the gift of empathy.
    The first step is to get help and discover all the positive distractions and resources that are available. To live with, rather than suffer from, mental health concerns, it one giant positive step forward.
    Thank you for such an informative and heartfelt posting.
    In peace and good wishes, your way, Gary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gary, I agree "to live with, rather than suffer from, a mental health concern." A step in a positive direction.

      Thank you, always a pleasure having you read and comment. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you have written this post, and I hope it reaches out to somebody who can benefit from this information. Because there is help out there, and I am glad that you were able to get that help for yourself. Life really can be better with the right help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi lost in space, I am also glad you were too.
    We have come such a long way and should be so proud of ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! What you said about reaching out for help being important but not the only step is so true. You're right--people don't usually come pull us out of bed, and they certainly can't go to our therapist's appointments for us or do the hard work. Great stuff here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tina, I really appreciate you reading and commenting. Have a lovely week. :)

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...