Friday, August 3, 2012

TV and anxiety – Making healthy choices


This past month I've decided to begin making wiser decisions for myself, this includes anything that might negatively impact my mental and physical health. A couple of weeks ago I started off by including a healthier meal pattern in my diet and implementing a better sleep routine. This week’s wise choice is to stop watching shows that might trigger anxiety.

Dateline, Fatal encounters, Dark minds, Nightmare next door, Cold blood and many others. These shows are mostly true stories shown on the Investigation Discovery Channel of crimes that have happened in real life, from what I have read and heard this channel is very popular among viewers, some might even call them addicting, exactly why, I am not 100% sure.

What I would like to say is that I have decided to stop watching these shows, Just like I did a while back with the news, because they make me think of worst case scenarios such as “ what if something like that happens to my friend or what if the neighbor down the street does that, etc? ”  It is tough enough suffering from anxiety that involves fear and worry, sort of like “always waiting for the shoe to drop.”  Well, I don’t’ see how these shows or similar ones will help me deal with those symptoms, if anything, they can make them worst.

My mission is to get better, not worst and surround myself with positive things that bring about positive thoughts and energy. I put a lot of work into maintaining good mental health and for the most part although, I am not perfect, I am doing well.

So, bye, bye ID network, Law and Order and others alike, hello to inspirational shows, funny sitcoms, educational networks and reading optimistic books. My pursuit for a continued sound mind is more important as well as sharing my milestones with others so they too can feel like they can reach milestones of their own.




  
Share

16 comments:

  1. This is a great post. I have been trying to do the same. You know the saying 'positivity attracts positivity' and 'negativity attracts negativity'...I have been trying to live my life while keeping this in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good thing to keep in mind, glad to see that others are on the same page as me, as far a being living a more positive life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wise way to go. I've tried to do a similar thing, by limiting my experience with such negative imagery and subjects. But I don't completely exclude them. Darkness is a part of existence. For me it's a matter of balance and moderation. Having a feeling of gratitude and compassion for others can overcome the darkness. Still it is better to spend most of life in the light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Three Suns, gratitude and compassion for others as well as myself always brings light into my life. Thank you so much for visiting and commenting.:)

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greetings my friend,
    What an uplifting, positive and upbeat posting.
    Life, in general, of course, is about making healthy choices that are conducive to our mental health well being.
    You seem to be distancing yourself from all that sabotages your healthier thinking and that's most encouraging.
    You embrace the ideals of living life with realistic positive anticipation, rather than, negative speculation. Hello to Oprah's shows and sitcoms that give you the medicine of laughter.
    In kindness and the precious gift of empathy, your way, Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed your post. I also stopped looking at crime shows and anything that create a negative outlook on life. I feel good knowing that I'm feeding my mind with good thoughts now. :)

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Klahanie, I am so very grateful for your comment and the kindness sent my way.:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Suzanne,feeding our minds with good thoughts is a whole lot better!

    Thank you for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. It is better to stay focused on the positive than on the negative. I think that trying to influence your life with positive aspects will help ease your anxiety.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shelly, yes, that is what I'm aiming for!

    Thanks so much for reading and commenting:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It amazes me what TV can honestly do for our anxiety levels. I no long watch the news, and though I used to love the ID channel, I just can't do it anymore. So, kudos to you for making the change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spilled Milkshake, thank you! I appreciate your comment. Nice to know that other's feel the same.:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. I had done the same at one point. I have strayed from it a bit lately, but this post made a good reminder to try and stick to the more light hearted stuff on tv (or better yet, turn the tv off and go do something!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aaron, it's not the easiest thing to do. I've slipped here and there a couple of times, i catch myself and switch channel to something funny, educational or go do housework. For some watching these shows is fine, for me, for now, I need more positive things in my life.

      Thank you,
      Aaron!

      Delete
  14. Nice post, and great advice. I think too many of us don't realize how much television affects our moods, and our daily lives. Quite a while ago (over a decade) I was broke and could not afford cable service. So I went without. Now, over ten years later I still don't have television service. My life is better off with out it. I do so many more fun, and productive things without it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Jon, I don't know if I can go entirely without television service, but I certainly applaud for being an example of someone who can have fun and stay positive without T.V.

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...