Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Things to help my anxiety – feeling anxious all the time



Anxiety disorder is considered to be the most common among many other emotional disorders. It is has been estimated that it affects more than twenty five million Americans, according to Wikipedia it is a psychological and physiological condition characterized by cognitive, somatic, emotional, and behavioral components which blend and create an unpleasant feeling that is typically linked with uneasiness, fear, or worry.

It is also a generalized mood condition that occurs without a certain trigger stimulus. As such, it is derived from fear, which occurs in the presence of an observed threat, it is a normal reaction to stress and when it becomes excessive, it can fall under the category of an anxiety disorder.

Some of the effects include heart palpitations, fatigue, nausea, pain in the chest, shortness of breath, stomach aches, or headaches. Other than the physical effects, there are also emotional ones such as trouble concentrating, feeling tense or jumpy, anticipating the worst, irritability, restlessness, watching and waiting for signs of things to happen that are negative, feeling like your mind's gone blank, bad dreams, a trapped in your mind feeling, and feeling as if everything is scary.

 Here are some things that I do to help me cope with my symptoms, I don’t always do them perfect, but then again who’s perfect the most important thing is that we don’t give up. 

1. Taking time out for ourselves is crucial it can help us keep stress under control. This past weekend I practiced this by doing something I enjoy and have not done in a long time. First, I went out to spend the day browsing the shops, I purchase a few things that made me feel good and were relatively inexpensive then I spent the whole afternoon at the book store, the next day I met a friend for dinner that I haven’t seen in close to eight years, both rewarding and helped me reduce my stress level substantially.

2. Eating healthy nutritional foods and getting exercise on a regular basis is tremendously important. I’m trying so hard to keep up with this by eating my three meals a day along with taking my long walks, the down fall for me is that when I become full of anxiety my appetite goes away and it’s downright hard for me to get it back so, I’ve been taking a daily multivitamin which helps induce my appetite but I suggest to others to check with their doctors before including it in their regimen.

3. Sleep another important factor, a good night’s rest every night will help you handle your everyday pressures and responsibilities with a level head. This is a huge one for me it seems like no matter how well I follow the other tips listed, if this one is not happening everything else seems difficult and my mood hard to deal with.

These past couple of days I’ve experienced difficulty sleeping and it kicked up feelings of depression and two or three crying bouts, thank goodness I am aware of where these feelings are coming from, in the past I didn’t have this awareness, interestingly crying helps me release stress, I am also aware of that, so I did not hold back my tears.

4. Practice getting rid of negative thoughts when you catch yourself thinking something negative immediately shift to a positive or engage in a positive activity. Put some gratitude in your attitude; be grateful for the little things in life. Think of others and what you can do to help them. Sharing and caring for others tend to bring a positive and peaceful light in your life as well as the other person.

When we are to self involved it can contribute to over analyzing everything, eventually causing it to evolve into worry, nervousness and disease. Shifting from a negative thought to a positive one not always easy for me, I can practice this all day long, but it’s still worth the try, eventually there will be moments, at least for me when it pays off. Being grateful that’s easy for me and does help because I truly am, having experienced the things that I have in my life I am thankful for my blessings no matter how small they may seem.

5. Breathing and stretching exercises, this one I have been using lately when my symptoms are through the roof, I breathe in and out, deep breaths and stretch my body almost like yoga ,but not quite because I’m not too familiar with those movements, I basically stretch to where it feels comfortable for me.


One of the reasons why I am writing on this topic is because lately I have been suffering more often from these symptoms and somehow seeing what I write in print helps me implement the suggestions and deal with them in a positive way. The other reason well, it’s my usual, to let others know they are not suffering alone and that there are things we can do to help us deal with these emotions.



Share

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for these tips. It's always helpful to learn what others do. I hope your anxiety lessens soon.

    Love,
    Trish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really good suggestions--thank you for sharing them. I find the deep breathing and stretching very helpful, too--it helps put me in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings, my friend,
    What you have so eloquently articulated can be of great benefit to those who may well be experiencing anxiety disorder.
    Very important to take care of ourselves and find activities and a lifestyle that is conducive to our mental health well being.
    I am heartened to note that you are using and developing 'wellness tools'. This is a clear case of cultivating healthy thinking and behaviour. And yes, via the positive resource of writing, you are verbalising your feelings and the empathy from your writing, resonates in every word.
    Well said and keep going :)
    With respect and positive wishes, your way, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a quick follow up. I have bestowed an award upon your good self. As I state in the posting on the award, please feel no pressure or obligation to acknowledge the award.
    It is just my way of trying to bring further awareness of your thoughtful blog.
    With respect, Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Klahanie Gary sent me to check out your blog because of your award. Very nice to meet you! I suffer major depressive disorder and was diagnosed in February with acute onset anxiety. Wow, what a fun combination! I really appreciate reading about your non-medical interventions as I'm sick to death of being dependent on chemical fixes, though I do know their therapeutic importance...thanks for all the great advice.
    Tina @ Life is Good

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trish, thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a kind comment.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina, Yes, that is one of my favorite exercises for relieving anxiety too. Thank for visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Gary, your comments and lovely words continue to inspire me!

    Thank you so much for the award it is so sweet, I will be writing my post about it soon. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tina @life is good, so nice to meet you too, great of you to stop by it always helps to know we are not alone, it certainly helps me in my journey. Yes, I too find that there is a therapeutic importance and implementing natural alternatives along with other forms of support has helped me immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like all these tips to reduce anxiety. At different times they can all be useful to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lost in space, im glad. Thank you for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  11. "Put some grattitude in your attitude." I like that!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Put some grattitude in your attitude." I like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aaron, glad you like the saying, it is one of my favorites. :)

      Delete
  13. Most important thing is to work on our self constantly, to be and stay positive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anxiety relief, thank you for visiting! Even during the set backs it's important to continue working on ourselves and never lose hope.

      Delete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...