Thursday, August 16, 2012

Therapy in cooking - Replacing worries, fears and anxiety with healthy activities



I love it when I discover different ways of coping with my depression and anxiety especially when they are things that I least expect, like cooking.

Cooking has never been my favorite thing to do; actually, it has been my least. The preparation, cleaning, dishes, burning the pots, well, it just seemed so much simpler to call in an order and tip the delivery guy. 

That is until I mindfully began to experience the benefits from it. Becoming aware on how it keeps my mind busy and helps me focus on one thing rather than focusing on my obsessive thinking, worries and fears.

It isn't just the cooking, it's the whole process, like the thinking of what I will make for lunch or dinner, writing the list of ingredients and shopping for them. That in itself can be therapeutic for me who, at one point suffered from crippling anxiety that kept me from doing some things that would come easy to others. 

I have no fancy smancy recipes or kitchen gadgets, and I won’t be rushing out to purchase a chef’s hat any time soon. My cooking is really quite simple which is fine, at least now I'm beginning to find purpose in it other than feeding my tummy. 

And who knows maybe in the future I'll even find washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen afterwards therapeutic too, but I wouldn't hold my breath on that one. :-)

Oh, I decided to take some pictures of what I made today. Look at me! Taking pictures of my food and putting them on my blog, woohoo!  Who would have thought??



                                           
                                               Filling the dough for beef filled pastry turnovers


                                                     Frying in canola oil using medium flame


                                                                           Whalla!

Share

9 comments:

  1. Greetings my friend,
    There are a lot of positive aspects to this posting. Indeed um..food for thought :)
    Cooking as a positive distraction. Most encouraging, for you may have remembered moments when making a piece of toast was a daunting prospect.
    Eating, having an appetite is something equally heartening.
    You are doing very well and you have my ongoing support and understanding.
    And your pictures have made me hungry :)
    Oops, you just reminded me, must wash the dishes afterwards. Oh well, maybe I can just get the dog to lick the plates. Then straight back into the cupboard. Yes, I'm kidding.
    Take very good care of you and continue to live your life with that realistic positive anticipation.
    In kindness and hope, Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe it or not, yes, I can actually identify with making and eating the toast. I can really appreciate having an appetite because during the difficult times that is the first thing to go. Love your dog. Jack Russell?
    Thank you for your visit and comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi again,
    Sometimes I felt like I didn't 'deserve' to eat. Still get moments like that, but mostly I'm okay :)
    It's Penny the Jack Russell dog and modest internet star. She does the occasional pawsting, sorry, I mean, the occasional posting on my site.
    Enjoy your weekend and keep smiling :)
    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I'm new to your blog and glad I found it!

    I am not fond of cooking--it brings on the anxiety, and I have OCD and a lot of obsessions and compulsions with cooking. But I am trying to do more and I'm finding that there's a satisfaction is completing something and eating food I fixed myself. And there is something soothing in the rhythm of the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Madison. It's so true how focusing your mind on a task, cooking, gardening, painting, will help you find satisfaction. I enjoy cooking, but I enjoy other things more, like gardening and writing. Growing the food I eat is incredibly satisfying. I realize, though, not everyone has a backyard. Though you say cooking is not your first choice your turnovers are ambitious, or at least they seem so to me. They look delicious. It's a great post, a worthy topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For not liking to cook that dish looks truly amazing!

    Following you from the Friday Blog Hop and would love a GFC follow back as well as for you to join in the Weekend Blog Walk blog hop at http://www.athometake2.com. We've got a great group of bloggers linking up every weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tina, so nice to know that you are trying to do more and that you are finding satisfaction in things such as cooking. I am also finding that there is something soothing in the rhythm of the process. So glad you found me:)

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie, gardening has always grabbed my attention as something soothing to do, but like you said not everyone has a backyard. I am however taking pleasure in watching and my plants grow healthy that's another thing I was not into as a matter of fact, when I would buy a plant it would not last long, now I enjoy taking care of them, may sound trivial to some but I enjoy it.
    Thank you for visiting and for the kind comment on my turnovers:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica, thank you so much for stopping by and for the sweet comment, I shall be headed your way soon:)

    Madison

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...