Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How to feel better – Ways to calm down – quiet the mind – shattered nerves


In my quest for a calmer, quieter state of mind, I have implemented a change of lifestyle to my daily routine. So far, so good, I am pleased to say that I am feeling the benefits to some of the changes I have made. Now, keep in mind, they are not dramatic changes and it is clearly going to take a lot more work and dedication for me to continue to feel the way I want to feel. But, I learned a long time ago that nothing good comes quick and patience leads to understanding and eventually triumph.



First and foremost I had to get my sleep pattern in order, that took some time to achieve but I now go to sleep every night around the same time and wake up during the same time too, I sleep 7-8 hours straight throughout the night. That is a big change from going to sleep at 1am and waking up 2-3 times during the night with obsessive thoughts or not sleeping at all. This was utter torture for me, I don’t know how else to describe it. Now, I begin to get ready for bed at 8 pm, computer goes off by 9, and I wind down with a favorite show of mine which by the way has a timer to go off at a certain time. Zzzzz



Although, I was now well rested my attitude was still some what bleak, which told me from past experiences that it was time to put some gratitude in my attitude. And so I did, I began to practice positive thoughts and stay clear of anyone that would make that difficult to attain, I also began to write a gratitude list to help me vividly see and infiltrate the many blessings I have. I’d be lying if I said that my thoughts are all positive all day, because they are not, but when the negative ones come to visit my beautiful brain, I know how to deal with them better.



I can’t emphasize enough how important it is for me to go on my daily walks and every day I make them a little longer. No matter what kind of weather, they just really release a lot of my tension, now I am getting in the habit of taking pictures of things I see along the way with my I phone, sometimes silly things, but I like it and it adds a little twist to my walks, there are also days when I stop by the church along the way, for me that adds more peacefulness and calmness to my excursion.



This is the big one, a tsunami of things for me, my coffee intake! I don’t know if this is a New York thing or a me thing, I say that because in Manhattan all I see are people walking around with a cup of coffee in their hand. Whichever one, it is safe to say I was drinking way too much of it, at least over 5 cups a day. I have now cut my caffeine intake substantially, I’m drinking 2 cups a day and whenever I get the urge for a third cup of coffee, I have tea instead. This has not been easy, I have felt some headaches come on due to the fact that I might also be or am addicted to the caffeine, no worries though, it is getting easier and I am totally proud of myself.



I trust that in sharing my positive pursuits it will serve as an incentive for someone else to want to apply some of their own ideas towards pursuing a better lifestyle. You know, it is all so cliché when you hear things like “ if I can do it, you can do it too “ or “ change your mind, change your life “ sometimes the reality of circumstances is different for everyone and things that don’t come easy for you may come easy for someone else. My favorite thing to say is “never give up”, yes things don’t always happen overnight and it may seem like a lengthy process but, the outcome is of great significance. Every little reprieve from an unsound mind and shattered nerve is worth it, so I will take as many as I can get and aim for many more.



10 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you. I worry about everything - my mind is never quiet (unless I'm sleeping). I've tried meditation, but I can never shut my brain off and relax.

    Lisa
    P.S. Thanks for linking up to the GtKY Blog Hop! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great inspiring information. Would be willing to try all of it - except the coffee thing, LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, Lisa. I'm not good with the conventional types of meditation, I just try to find relaxing things to do instead for meditation. And the worry part, well I'm try really hard to work on that one:) Thanks for hosting the blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya about the coffee part. It can be hard but I'm doing it but I'm trying my best.:)

    Thank you for visiting, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice blog checkout my blogs at

    http://www.onjokes.blogspot.com
    http://www.togetherfornature.blogspot.com

    feel free to leave a comment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Steve, appreciate the nice comment, on my way to check them out!

    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love being grateful it is the only for things to be positive in your life. Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from Friday blog hop. Would love a follow and comments.
    http://mintascreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Minta's Creations, Yes, an attitude of gratitude goes a long way and help you deal with things in a more positive way.

    Thank a bunch for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...