Friday, July 20, 2012

IBS - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Depression and Anxiety



I have been suffering from Irritable Bowel Syndrome for the past ten years and although, I have always known that when I got worried, stressed or scared about something it affected my gastrointestinal system, it has not been until recently that I actually realized how closely related it is to my depression and anxiety.

Studies show that up to 60% of people with IBS also have depression or anxiety, I have also read material where it is mentioned that depression does not cause IBS but instead aggravate it, In my case, I truly believe it is caused by my depression/anxiety because the only time I get the symptoms of IBS is when my psychological symptoms flare up.

For me there are times when suffering with IBS that makes it difficult to deal with my psychological symptoms because IBS can leave me depleted of energy, and as many of us know some of the symptoms of depression in itself are a lack of energy and change of appetite, in my case no appetite, so that combination can leave a person like me almost immobilized.

There is no cure for irritable Bowel Syndrome, but there are treatments available which your doctor can best guide you with, I myself have not been on a treatment for this disorder. Studies have shown that some antidepressants can help with some of the IBS symptoms; exactly what those studies and antidepressants are I do not have enough information on presently. As always, if I were curious I would recommend discussing it with a licensed mental health professional, such as your psychiatrist or psychologist to get the accurate information, it is something that I am highly considering doing myself in the near future.

I also plan on making an appointment to speak with an Gastrointestinal doctor and recently I have made it a point to maintain a healthy nutritional diet along with keeping myself well hydrated, I started eating breakfast and lunch every day as well as drinking lots of water, unlike many times where I have skipped those meals, not intentionally but mostly because of my poor appetite in the early hours of the day, plus let me not forget to mention how I would drink several cups of coffee throughout the day instead of water.

 I am proud to say that my ways are changing, slowly but surely they are, I now take my multivitamins every morning which I find that it helps induce my appetite, and I have been implementing (CBT) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy techniques such as self awareness and positive thinking to help me cope with my depression and anxiety which of course in my case can help lessen my IBS. For more information on IBS go to aboutIBS.org

2 comments:

  1. Irritable Bowel Syndrome or IBS, is a common condition that affects between 25 and 55 million Americans, the majority of whom are women.

    IBS Symptoms

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...