Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Dealing with change - Adapting to change

Change can be hard to deal with for many people and that is no less the truth for me. But, I am not the average bear either, unlike many people, besides having a difficult time dealing with change there are times when I also tend to become depressed when faced with one. 

Even a small one can sometimes make me feel like I am a character out of a twilight zone episode; experiencing change tends to throw me off balance mentally as well as physically. While I have always known the uncomfort I experience, recently after having to stay at my sister’s house for a couple of nights, did I realize the depths of it.


Each day out of the two I spent away, I had a moment where I had to find a space of my own in her home where I could lie down and deal with my feelings of sadness and the heaviness that I was feeling in my mind and body, and even though I slept comfortably throughout the night during my stay there, I felt exhausted all day. The change of environment, routine and familiarity feels more like a loss or heartbreak, even if temporarily, and especially if it is a spontaneous change such as this one was.


I am back home now, getting back into my usual routine, one of which is making my cup of coffee, grabbing my laptop, sitting on my sofa with my feet on the coffee table. Feels good, but for a short moment it also felt like I was back from a trip overseas. Obviously, I don’t always adapt well to change which tells me I need to start working on some strategies to help me become more comfortable as well as open minded.

For more on changes visit http://bit.ly/TFLOIs


“Any change, even a change for the better, is always accompanied by drawbacks and discomforts.” - Arnold Bennett




Share

6 comments:

  1. I totally agree. Speaking for myself I have always welcomed change but the adjusting is where I have challenges. I admire you for wanting to be more open because most people remain stuck in their ways. Anyway, good luck moving forward
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diaryofasagitarius, thank you so much for reading my post and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A change of environment is tough indeed. Which makes a major change in your life ridiculously difficult. It's certainly something I need to work on as it seems something is always changing in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stephanie, glad you stopped by and commented, I truly appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Change, such a big topic. No one who is challenged by mental illness embraces change. Routine is one of the mainstays of handling an emotionally unbalanced life. I know from experience.
    Finding ways to cope with change however is a good idea. I hear what you are saying.
    I don't have answers to this one but look forward to seeing if you come up with some strategies!
    This is my first visit but I will return.

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...