Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Laugh about it - Life, laughter and choosing to feel good.


Go ahead, laugh about it. Believe it or not you can find humor in most things, look at me for example, during my tough childhood, my mother used to call me a word that well, let's just say it wasn't very nice. Sometimes when my husband and I are goofing around and making jokes we say that word using different accents, and it makes us laugh our brains off. It sounds kind of weird to most people that a word my mother called me and caused me so many sleepless nights as well as contributed to my many therapy sessions could make me laugh.

How did this happen for me? My answer is I look for the lighter side of situations not always the bad, I think of how others might have thier own pain and suffering therefore may not know how to deal with thier emotions other than doing and saying the wrong things. I acknowledge that making mistakes is human nature not just for us but for others as well.

Practicing forgiveness, surrounding myself with positive people and things helps a great deal, I have also learned, many times the hard way that I have no control over people, I can only control me. I have choices, I can choose anger, resentments, or moving forward. Letting go of the negative past instead of dwelling on it can give us a sense of freedom. It also helps to understand who you are as a person today and the good qualities you possess.

Now, going back to laughter, lol. :-) Why laughter is good for you. According to researchers laughter may help with your blood stream and even decrease the risk of heart disease. It has also been known to assist in the decrease of stress along with building up your immune system. Obviously as we know our endorphin levels increase when we have laugh, we know this because we feel good and endorphins are according to Wikipedia, ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endorphin ) endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, pain and orgasm; they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia.

My favorite moments of laughter are those that creep up on me by surprise. I could be walking to the store and suddenly, I crack a smile followed by giggles because I thought of something funny. Sure, strangers on the street are looking at me like there is something seriously wrong with me, but I don't care because I feel good. Now that we know what some of the benefits of laughter are, go ahead don't be shy and show those pearly whites every chance you can.  ~~ M.O.

2 comments:

  1. yep..how true...we cannot control people or events...but we can control our reaction to those people and events...
    I am your newest follower...pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. New follower, follow back if you can. Thanks!


    http://beautyloveandlipgloss.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...