Monday, October 10, 2011

Blogging for world mental health day - Coping, fighting and dealing with my depression - It's no ball room dance

I have suffered from depression most of my life, and as some of you know, it is no ball room dance. Actually, it can be one of the most difficult and painful things to go through. I found out that although, it can make a person feel horrible and stuck in a dark pitiful cloud, it does not have to take control of your life. Some of you might be saying to yourselves "Easier said than done" and truthfully yes it is, at least for me it was, but still it can be done with the right help and a firm decision to take back control, I have learned to cope with the symptoms of depression.

At some point during my debilitated states, I knew I could not do it alone, I surrendered. Twenty five years ago when I began to experience depressive symptoms, there were moments where the pain was so great that I just knew that something had to be done, but I also had this feeling that I could not go about it solo, which is when I decided to confide in a close relative, soon after that I made an appointment to see a therapist. For me, it must have been one of the best decisions I made in my life. I often wonder if I would even be sitting here typing, if it weren’t for that moment where I found the courage to look fear in the face and make the choice to get help.

An easy road, at all times? No, I really can’t say that. But, I can say that getting the right help from trained professionals and support groups, along with implementing positive things in my life as often as possible, have made a difference in the way I cope with my depressive symptoms. Still, some-days are easier than others, but I continue to fight and move forward because I am worth it.

18 comments:

  1. You are taking care of yourself in a way that is healthy - and you're doing it in your own way and in your own time.

    You've got strength, mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An excellent post about taking charge of your illness in a way that is proactive and healthy, rather than letter it take you over. This is the route I have taken also, and though never easy, it has made a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is good that you are sharing your journey. I believe that mental illness is an unique illness and many people can't understand it. I am not an expert on mental health, I have just observed my mom's battle with depression and other psych related diagnoses through the years and it is not an easy road.
    I commend you on continuing to work to move forward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and thank you for joining the Planet Weidknecht Weekend Hop. I'm following you and hope to see you again this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Lisa, and thank you for hosting the hop. Will see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Optimistic Mom, thank you so much for your comment and good thoughts on my journey:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to know, that there are others who are also on the path to wellness. Thank you so much Elizabeth!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just me, thanks for the awesome comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Madison, I so agree with you here! It is all to easy to fall into the dark, deep well of depression and you really have to use all the strength you an muster to pull yourself out of it ~ being pro-active about doing this is so important! I was in 'victim' mode for many years, but I try much harder to 'take back the power' over my emotions these days ~ not easy, as you know! Thankyou for sharing,great post! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this post. I am a depression/post-partum depression survivor, and I know how dark things can seem. And i also know there is recovery, and there is help available. And that one should NEVER GIVE UP!
    thanks, Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm doing so much better since I began to learn about my faulty coping mechanisms. I have bipolar, so moods are the all consuming issue, but these don't often come from no where with me. At least not now. Usually they swoop in - triggered by something small. Like someone not responding to me in a way I understood. I'm acutely sensitive sometimes and its at these times, mood-management comes in. IT works a treat for me.

    I'm so glad you're working out your own illness in a positive and healthy manner.

    Thanks for stopping by today. Pop back tomorrow for a weekend of creation. ;D

    Shah. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. Shah, those coping mechanisms are worth a million dollars no matter how faulty:) and it always helps when we can identify the triggers. Thank you, I truly appreciate you reading and commenting on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great blog posting and very helpful. I really appreciate the research you put into this blog.

    Tinnitus miracle

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog so much, and this post shows what a strong person you are, coping in a postive way with the depression side of bipolar - I'm still struggling with that myself, but hope that in time & can work on my own coping mechanisms.
    Thank you X

    ReplyDelete
  15. your post is motivating for others.keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You made some very good points in your article, I would like to read more on this.
    essay help | uk essay writing | essay writing service

    ReplyDelete
  17. I read your article and this is very informative post...Thanks for sharing..

    Kailua dentist

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...