Sunday, September 18, 2011

Maintaining good mental health - Not always easy, but there are tools that can help

For some maintaining good mental health is not always easy, there are times when I still feel like I am going back into the dungeon of despair. The difference for me between today and the past, is that while I still experience depression and anxiety, I now have better coping skills and am more mindful of my emotions.

Today, I try to the best of my ability to utilize my tools, such as sensing the symptoms associated with my illnesses and tackling them before they become debilitating for me. I practice surrounding myself with positive people, places and things which can be as simple as taking a brisk walk, visiting the local library, reading an inspirational book, listening to a great song or writing in my blog.

These things may not always work so, I also like sharing my emotions and feelings with a close friend or someone that can relate to me. I have learned through the course of my experience with depression and anxiety that it really helps to change a thought and move a muscle as well as not keeping feelings of unease and sadness inside because it will only multiply and deepen them.




-->

2 comments:

  1. This post is very much needed for me today. My mind is tired and jumbled. Thank you for making me realize to surround myself with calm today.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it helped you as much as it helped me while writing it.:)

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...