Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Blame it on depression

A couple of months ago I was feeling extremely tired and fatigued, even on a full 8 hrs of sleep I would wake up, do my morning routine and within an hour I would basically be ready to go take a nap, a long nap. I was beginning to think that maybe I was headed toward a depressive state, yet I couldn't understand why I would be feeling depressed at that time, I mean life was a-okay, no major setbacks, bills were paid, family healthy, so why would I be depressed and why was I feeling so exhausted?

Well, it was clearly time for me to give my doctor a visit. Something was not right and if it was indeed depression, then I would tackle it and take the appropriate measures to deal with it and help me feel better, after all I'm no stranger to it, but first I wanted to rule out any medical problems before confirming my assumptions.

The Doctor ran some test on me after I was thoroughly honest with him about my symptoms, he also did complete blood work. A week later he informed me I have anemia due to an iron deficiency that is causing my extreme fatigue and tiredness. My Doctor prescribed me iron supplements (ferrous sulfate) which treat mild to moderate iron deficiency and told me that this type of anemia can be common among women my age that have a heavy menstrual cycle. He told me to take them and see him in two months to see if the supplements are helping me feel better. I have to say, not long after taking them I was actually feeling better and more energized.

Interestingly, these last few days I forgot to take my iron supplements, because I had placed them in a different spot than usual. And sure enough, these past couple of days I have been feeling very sluggish and strangely tired. Funny, again, I blamed it on depression. Well, maybe not so funny. Anyhow, the light bulb went off above my head and then and there I realize that I had missed my iron pills. Sure, enough I immediately took them and will be following up with my doctor in the next week.

I am surprised on how I don’t go around saying things are happening because I’m depressed, I mean really. Pretty soon I will be blaming my lousing Irish dinners for my husband on depression. Mmm, something to think about.
Seriously, with any symptom we exhibit it is always important to seek the advice of a medical professional and not make our own diagnoses or assumptions.




16 comments:

  1. New follower from MBC, look forward to your future posts! You can find me at
    http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be good to yourself and take the Pill ~ You are worth it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for paying attention to your symptoms. And I am so happy it is an iron deficiency as opposed to depression - Hang in there!

    New follower from MBC you can find me at:
    http://www.Katietalkscarolina.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Frugal, enjoyed the zuchinni recipe on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ArtMuse, always a pleasure having stop by:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That, along with hypertension, was my problem as well. I constantly was tired. Sleepy after my coffee even. I was like a zombie. The doc told me I was anemic after 2 blood draws he said to take an iron supplement. It has made an amazing difference in my over all energy level and wakefulness. When people are tired they are cranky and and feel overwhelmed and run down, similar to depression. I was taking an antidepressant and stopped it. It did help, but the iron helped more.
    Props to you for investigating it as well. It is important to treat depression as well as anemia. Both have a serious impact on daily life! Especially if you are a busy mom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Insomnia, so glad you have seen a difference, thanks for a great comment!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! Following you from Mingle With Us
    Blog Hop! I hope you visit me and return
    the follow!:0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great post - I can totally relate. I too suffer from depression, but recently found I had both anaemia and vitamin d deficiency - both of which make you tired and achy - just like depression can...!

    following from mbc :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you can relate Parenting, thank you for stopping by and commenting on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found your blog and I totally love it. I'm a soon to be clinical psychologist and it's great to read about interesting people like you. It's nice to hear that you take things serious when it comes to your symptoms. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Found your blog today through a hop. Anyway, with this post, I'm reminded of one of my Uncle's jokes before. Well, it's not really a joke given that there's so much truth to it. That in this country, everything seems to be diagnosed and then medicated...from depression to over-happiness. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I also have those times and blame it on depression. For sure I'll ask my doctor to check to see if I have an iron deficiency.

    Thanks for visiting my blog . . . have a beautiful week (and don't forget to take your pills!) . . . Gina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina, hope you are well. Thanks for reading my post!

      Delete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...