Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Social phobia and social anxiety disorder - It helps, to get help

Social anxiety and social phobia is the fear of social situations and interaction with other people. It is also a fear of being judged and scrutinized by others. This disorder affects different people in different ways and many individuals who suffer from this disorder feel most comfortable when they are alone in familiar surroundings.

Individuals with social anxiety are often misunderstood and they may come of as being withdrawn and unfriendly. Although, it may seem that way, the truth is many would like to make friends, be social and active in social environments but, the anxiety and phobia holds them back.

Wikipedia reads that there is a psycho pathological form of social anxiety which is called social phobia or social anxiety disorder; it is a disorder that for some reduces their quality of life. In my past experience with this disorder I can agree.

It was not easy for me to deal with social anxiety of this form without seeking the appropriate treatment such as therapy and a support group. And no, in my case, it certainly did not get better overnight, so I will not sugar coat it. However, with the right resources and consistency, I can honestly say, I have it at bay and am vigilant of the symptoms resurfacing.

Consistency is a huge part of me preventing a relapse, so I continue to engage in healthy social activities and I know how to differentiate my alone quality time from that of isolation. By all means, I am not a social butterfly, but I try my best to maintain balance of social interaction as well as other important things in my life.










12 comments:

  1. I have been diagnosed with OCD and anxiety disorder. I appreciate posts like this getting the word out to others who have anxiety and to someone who is not aware of the disorder. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post. I do not think I'll ever be a social butterfly, either, but I am a lot less anxious in social situations than I used to be. And coworkers rarely call me "Shy", the nickname I acquired when I first started working there. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for visiting and reading my blog, I truly appreciate it! I also got a chance to visit each and every blog and I enjoy seeing the very many talented people and awesome post, I hope I did not miss any.:)

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Madison! I enjoyed reading this, I'm certainly not a social butterfly myself and try to make others understand that people who are withdrawn are not all unfriendly, but perhaps just a bit shy or OCD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Simplegirl, I am glad you read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is a great post, thanks for blogging this! sometimes i suffer from social anxiety, but i don;t think that i have such disorder, sometimes especially if when my mother died and i locked myself in my room for a couple of months, it was like i got disoriented with what's going on around me.. thanks for taking time visiting my site :) i'm following you back now :) you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, thank you for dropping by my blog. I'm following you know.

    This is an interesting topic because everyone can relate to having some type of social anxiety in different degrees.

    Wishing u a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Madison,

    Thanks for joining me at Create With Joy. I am following you back!

    I read your post and explored your blog and you have some wonderful content here that a lot of people will find useful. I look forward to reading more from you!

    Have a fabulous week!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello I am following you via TTT blog hop. Please follow me.

    http://itsabouttimemamaw.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. Following you from blog hop. Please follow me back. Great posts!

    http://imnotatrophywife.com

    laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cherrlej, BellaVida, The Paper Princess, thank you all for you comments, they are very much appreciated.:)

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  12. Patricia and Laura, thanks a bunch!

    Madison

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...