Saturday, April 16, 2011

Acceptance of depression - Accepting your illness

At some point during a person’s depression it may be necessary for them to accept their illness. The acceptance process aides in identifying the feelings and emotions associated with the depression and helps deal with them in a positive way.

It is important to understand that acceptance does not mean you let the depressive symptoms take over your life. On the contrary now you can learn more about your illness, learn positive ways to cope with it and not let those sometimes immobilizing feelings that come with depression take control of your existence.

If you think you are suffering from depression, consider speaking with a doctor, become as knowledgeable as you can about the illness. The more you know, the more you will be able to make informed decisions concerning your mental health.

Have what I like to call a game plan, Get a support network, follow up with your doctor appointments, surround yourself with positive people, places and things.

Your game plan is insurance against a bad bout of depression or any of it's symptoms that may be headed your way.

Remember knowledge really is power, and the more you know about your illness and symptoms, the more you will be able to handle them appropriately and live a more productive life without letting depression get in your way.

Also, the more you talk about it and let your friends, family and proffesionals in, the less you fight this battle alone, and the higher the chances are you will feel better.


7 comments:

  1. When the going gets tough, The tough goes to the shrink. Life has handed me many things I thought I could not handle, like losing my grandparents, my dad needing a liver transplant. With my doctor and a plan I have found strength I never knew I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, Glynis. Sorry for what you went through. But, it looks like you knew where to go for help and now you have this awesome strength, I feel the same way:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have dealt with my mom's depression which is due to her memory issues and I know how debilitating it can be..Great and thoughtful post.
    Found you via the sunday hop at planet weidknecht

    http://didoodlings.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great that you recognized the symptoms and knew where to go for help! Brighter days ahead!

    I'm a new follower from the hop! Nice to meet you!
    Hope you can hop by and visit my blog too!
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for visiting Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DHidey, so nice that your mother has you to support her.:) Thank you for reading my post!

    Madison

    ReplyDelete
  7. I,m your newest follower from the blog hop. Hope you can follow me back. Thanks
    http://interestingplace1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...